6.16.2010

Inspired & motivated!

Last night I left work at 6 and ventured over to the South End,
where I had a solo dinner at Francesca’s Cafe on Tremont Street
(a delicious Asian salad with sliced almonds, mandarin oranges and some grilled chicken) and just decompressed,
as I watched people stroll by my window seat.

And then headed over to a ‘Breaking into Freelance Writing’ class,
organized by MediaBistro and taught by Alyssa Giacobbe
(who has written for Self, Teen Vogue, Boston Magazine and more).

It was worth the price alone
with the level of inspiration and motivation
currently running through me.
I feel prepped and energized to start getting more serious about my writing
and tossing some pitches out there to magazines and websites.
Goals will be set soon.
Alyssa gave some great pointers on how to get organized
and how to attack what could be seen as quite an overwhelming task;
entering into the freelance world.
She recommended finding specific topics, creating specialities
and becoming an expert in areas
that could help one better marketing themselves
and my brainstorming has begun.
I enjoy style and design, cooking and baking and organization,
relationships and shopping…
so it seems that the best overall niche
would be as a lifestyle writer,
but I feel I’m going to need to dig a bit deeper.
Either way, I’m excited to do this digging work.

Oh, and today’s hump day
and even with a slight sore throat
(I’m shoving as much vitamic C in me as I can find),
I feel the freedom of the weekend,
or at least lazy after work hours, approaching.
And I have time to browse through blogs today at work
and enjoy; what could be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment